GAMBIER, Ohio (Nov. 10. 2018) – Centre men's soccer saw its season come to an end following a hard-fought match against No. 11 Carnegie Mellon in the NCAA Tournament First Round Saturday at Kenyon.
The Colonels (14-4-3) failed to advance past the Tartans (11-4-3) following a penalty shootout, just six days after they claimed the Southern Athletic Association in a similarly dramatic fashion.
- Will Newton put a shot on goal just 20 seconds into the match, but neither side managed a goal across the first 45 minutes.
- The second period was much of the same between the two evenly-matched sides, and while Carnegie Mellon out-shot Centre 12-4 in the half, the Colonels finished with three on target to CMU's one.
- Bailey Spade came up with four saves across the two overtime periods to preserve the shutout.
- Alexander Garuba nearly found the golden goal in the first extra time, but his last-minute shot was stopped by a diving save.
PENALTY KICK HIGHLIGHTS
- After trading opening PK makes, Carnegie Mellon grabbed a 2-1 lead through two.
- The Tartans' Alec Lam made a save on Centre's fourth try, and Elliot Cohen hit his ensuing kick to secure the 4-2 decision.
- Nafiz Budeiri and Garuba provided Centre's makes.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Centre finished with six shots on goal to CMU's eight, led by Newton's four.
- Spade finished with his 15th combined shutout of the season and 14th individually.