ATLANTA (May 8, 2019) - The Southern Athletic Association (SAA) announced the final standings in the 2018-19 Commissioner's Cup standings.
With multiple SAA Regular Season Championships this season, Rhodes just edged Centre for the all-sports title. Below are the guidelines for the award and the final 2018-19 standings.
SAA Commissioner's Cup Guidelines
- A top-down cumulative point scale will be used with each conference champion receiving eight points (except football because of the number of teams, thus it will be nine); for sports with less than eight competitors, the point scale always begins at eight and moves towards the bottom (chart listed below);
- Each institution can only count their top-eight sports for men and their top-eight sports for women (thus early results will be skewed until we get through spring and folks are tossing out scores); this will control for equity in the number of sports offered;
- Affiliate members will count in determining the standings, and points allotted, but they will not be eligible to be ranked in the overall Commissioner's Cup race;
- Standings are for regular season finishes only except in the case of sports without said standings (such as golf, swimming, track, and cross country) in which case the final standings from the SAA Championships in those sports will be used;
- Member institutions must declare the sport as varsity status, and the sport must be recognized by the SAA as a conference sport, in order to receive points;
- If the SAA ever changes its core conference membership to more than eight institutions, the scoring system should be reviewed and adjusted accordingly.
2018-19 - Rhodes
2017-18 - Rhodes
2016-17 - No Cup Awarded
2015-16 - No Cup Awarded
2014-15 - Rhodes
2013-14 - Centre
2012-13 - Centre